- Expected release
- 19 February 2021
The 2020 solo piano and vocal version of Grandaddy's classic 2000 album The Sophtware Slump. Jason Lytle set up a new plan when he decided to re-record the songs from Grandaddy’s “The Sophtware Slump.” Twenty years ago he made this ageless record while red-eyed and running around a sweltering slipshod home studio in his boxers using some gear he planned to return to Best Buy as soon as he was done.
For this new, piano-centric “The Sophtware Slump,” Lytle traveled around Los Angeles, sourcing studios and pianos like a master chef selects foods from a farmer’s market. He identified three instruments and three studios that would suffice. Everything was in place. As with many best-laid plans, his were scuttled. In this case by a pandemic. So two decades after making a DIY masterpiece, Lytle found himself recording those songs again, sweating in his apartment again, trying to create a controlled environment while surrounded by chaos.
1. He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's the Pilot (Piano Version)
2. Hewlett's Daughter (Piano Version)
3. Jed the Humanoid (Piano Version)
4. The Crystal Lake (Piano Version)
5. Chartsengrafs (Piano Version)
6. Underneath the Weeping Willow (Piano Version)
7. Broken Household Appliance National Forest (Piano Version)
8. Jed's Other Poem (Beautiful Ground) (Piano Version)
9. E. Knievel Interlude (The Perils of Keeping It Real) (Piano Version)
10. Miner at the Dial-a-View (Piano Version)
11. So You'll Aim Toward the Sky (Piano Version)